In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Monday, August 10, 2009

Garden Tales

When you go on vacation, the garden seems to sense it by growing extra fast. When we came back from camping, there was an abundance of produce to be picked and eaten. First off were the beans. They were so plentiful that I've had to pick them three times in one week to keep up with them. The girls were excited to help me the first time around but each consecutive time it seemed like the novelty had worn off. They love to eat any raw vegetable that's available in the garden so I have to make sure they're actually picking things and not just eating it all :) Below is my step-by-step process of freezing beans.















The garden.















My first picking of beans.















Anna and Naomi helping me punt beans.














The cut beans ready to be blanched.




















Cooling after blanching.















In bags ready for the freezer.

I also bought a half of a bushel of pickling cucumbers to make dill pickles. This was a fun canning project and if they taste alright, I think I'll make it an annual event.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

Neat !! brings back lots of memories from our garden and canning and freezing it all.
Those pickles look like they're going to be good.

8:43 p.m.  
Blogger Tamara Jansen said...

You're a wonder woman!

2:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home