A trip down memory lane
Last weekend our family took a trip to the area where I was born and lived till I was thirteen. I lived on a farm for the first seven years of my life and then moved to a small town (Thamesville) for the next six. Because we have no family living in that area, there is never a real reason to go back and visit. However, now that we have children, I thought it would be nice to show them where I went to school, lived and played. It was a fun day showing the family all the sights and reliving lots of childhood memories. So, although this post won't mean much to most, it's dedicated to all the members on my side of the family. Enjoy!
The farmhouse on Highway 2, what a gem! Here is where my Dad had a small pig farm, a Bick's pickle contract, and sold sweet corn by the road. Although I was too young to help with chores, I definitely have memories of how ambitious we all were back then. The whole family was involved in operating the farm and worked together to make ends meet.
My elementary school until grade seven.
The school yard; it's been 17 years but not much has changed.
My old church.
We had a chance to visit an old, good friend of mine. She was a lover of horses when we were growing up and still is. I remember spending many Saturdays at her place playing with and riding her pony Brandy. She is now married with three girls of her own and also three more horses. What surprised me the most, was that she still had Brandy, the beloved pony. It was so nice of her to take Brandy out of 'retirement' to give all our girls a ride on her. What a neat way to relive that memory!
Bethany quite pleased to be on that pony!
A cute farm yard find.
The Thamesville community pool. This is where I took all my swimming lessons and spent endless hot, summer afternoons. We actually got to take a swim in it as it was open and it was the perfect reprieve from a hot day.
The Thamesville water tower.
This picture is just for my brothers. When they were in their foolish, teenage years there was a lot of physical fighting in our house. My Dad would get so sick of it that he would yell to them, "Go to the picnic shelter and bash each other over the head with a two by four." I really have to chuckle while I'm writing this as this has now become a constant refrain at family get togethers. Whenever there is a hint of animosity (all joking of course), someone always yells out, "Go to the picnic shelter..." Anyway, this is the referred to picnic shelter :)
Our Thamesville house. It has changed quite a bit but the colour of the house and structure is still the same.
Thamesville Town Hall. The library was in the basement where I spent lots of time reading and helping out with different programs.
And, last but not least, the reason why we lived where we did. This is my Dad's former workplace - a CIL fertilizer plant where he worked for seventeen years. He then was laid off when it got bought out by a bigger company, who decided it didn't need this small subsidiary anymore. That's how we ended up in London, but that's a story for another day :)

3 Comments:
Seeing those pictures was a trip down memory lane for me too! Thanks Laura! It is high time I take a trip out that way - it has been 28 years since I last drove down the long laneway of the farmhouse on my way to start life out in the big world! Actually Dad was driving as we headed to Hamilton where I would start college at the age of 17 and Mom was left standing at the back porch crying ...
Diane
Isn't it fun to go down memory lane ? I'm sure the kids love it as well. They probably had a hard time trying to picture mom actually being a kid or teenager and not their mom though !!
I used to LOVE visitng you in Thamesville! We had soooo much fun there - sleeping over, swimming at the pool, going to the little variety store, trying to catch fish at the bridge (without getting bloodsuckers!), doing gymnastics (if that's what you can call it :) - never a dull moment when we got together!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home