In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Sunday, November 16, 2008

First attempt at a backyard rink


I spent most of yesterday (in 4 degrees & rain!) building our first backyard rink. I used 2X8X10's for the side boards, staked every 5 feet with a two foot wooden stake. The plastic (a 40X100 piece of white/black bunker silo plastic) will go in just prior to a forecast of continued cold temperatures, as there is no sense having it in now just to get blown around and possibly torn. The final dimensions will be 30X80, and I think I will have quite the work this winter keeping it clear of snow, as the wind will likely drop big drifts on it. I also used the wheelchair ramp from our old house as a ramp into our 'change-room', complete with carpet, benches and soon a light and a small heater as well. I hope to mount at least two 500 watt halogen floodlights yet to allow for night skating, and to build some nets. If we get some good sustained cold weather we hope to be able to use this rink many times this winter!

~Update~
We woke up to a white world this morning, so I am glad that I spent the time yesterday to do the work. And the forecast for later this week is for lows of less than -5 for five straight nights, so we are hoping to get an early start!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

Very cool rink! Glad it worked out as you were talking about it at our visit. And you might be getting those cold temperatures sooner than you thought...

BTW, did Colin actually write this post?

2:33 p.m.  
Blogger Laura and Colin said...

Yes, Colin wrote it.

7:34 p.m.  
Blogger Chandra said...

I figured so. I mean, I know you're pretty handy with power tools too, but I was pretty sure this was his handywork.

So you've cleaned out and fixed up the chicken coop? Looks like we'll have to come up for another visit! :o) When's the girls' next PD day??

7:53 p.m.  
Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

Wow, looks like the kids can have an exciting winter right at home this year. Go outside,skate a while then inside for that hot chocolate mom will have ready at a moments notice :o)

7:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colin,

Looking good - should I take my skates when we come to Ontario next week?

BTW, how are you going to get the water to run uphill on the one corner of the rink?

Brian

9:24 p.m.  
Blogger Laura and Colin said...

Brian;

The slope is such that once the water is about 5 or 6 inches deep on the one end it should allow for it to spread 'uphill' and fill in the whole area - even if it is only 1 or 2 inches thick on that end. And the actual slope is actually less than the picture makes it appear. I guess we will find out for sure when we start filling it!

11:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home