In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fun in the snow

The first real snow fall came this past weekend and we've had snow flurries almost everyday since then. I'm a real winter lover, if you hadn't already known, so this weather is very exciting for me. The kids also love it and have spent a lot of their spare time out in the front yard crazy carpeting down our little hill. Colin is spending a lot of his spare time perfecting our rink as we've had a couple of glitches along the way. We now need very cold weather for 5-7 days and we should be good to skate. I'm not going to be too optimistic though, as it's technically not even winter. I know we've had green Christmases before!

The rink completely filled. Notice our skating hut in the background; it's all ready with benches inside to tie your skates on.

Bethany and I went crazy carpeting today and she just loved it! (and me too:)

Our future Beethoven. This is Silas's new obsession and he manages to actually play the keys instead of just banging on it. Maybe he will be a prodigy!?!? Not likely but it sure is cute to watch him plunk away at the keys. Anna has been taking lessons since September and is doing really well. Colin and I are both amazed at what she can already play and how much she has learned in such a short time. She is generally excited about what she can do but does become frustrated as the pieces get harder. We are borrowing the keyboard so that we can see some commitment before we go out and buy a piano. No use investing in this endeavour unless there is real promise for a musical future. We had tried Naomi in lessons as well but because she can't read the lessons became too frustrating for her. We'll try her again in a year or two.
No other really interesting news to tell, just a regular routine of school and church busyness. Anna and Naomi are now practicing for their Christmas concert at school and can be heard randomly singing all over the house. Bethany joins in as soon as she knows a line or two. What a nice atmosphere is in the house when there's singing, it leaves no room for angry or bitter words. Hmmm, maybe I should be singing more! I'll leave it at that for today.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a comment about the piano...you're never going to see a commitment from the girls - you create it. We bought our piano and then 'encouraged' the kids to play...not always easy but it's a good discipline!!
Shona
P.S. Devon wants to come over and try out the rink, he's very jealous.

11:01 p.m.  
Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

Looks like winter has begun with all the fun attached to it (and cold :o) )
Shona's right about the lessons. We didn't push hard enough when the kids had lessons and some of them regret it now.
Silas looks like he's really concentrating.

7:36 p.m.  
Blogger Chandra said...

Hey, my SIL gave me the number of her piano tuner, who is often able to get free pionos in decent condition (when his customers upgrade and want to get rid of their old ones), and he's looking into getting us one right now. I'll let you know how it goes, and then if it's a successful/positive experience, I'll pass on his name and number.

7:16 a.m.  
Blogger Tamara Jansen said...

You GO Silas! I can see that you will have it in your bones to be a great musician! He reminds me of Junior when he was little.

Keep up the lessons. It will pay off in the end :)

9:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home