In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Monday, November 19, 2007

Here we go...

I guess it's time for a major update! All the kids have been home for awhile now and things are going well. It seems as though having another baby in the house is just natural for everyone. Right now I'm just keeping my expectations low and that seems to be helping the adjustment. Last week my parents came down for few days and I put them to work :) Actually, they put themselves to work. I only asked my Mom to clean the bathrooms and the kitchen floor but she went beyond the call of duty and did all sorts of jobs for me. Needless to say, the house was shining when she was through with it. My Dad put up a new clothesline in the backyard, for which I am most thankful. I used to just hang everything either on my drying rack or on a rope strung across the yard, but now I have a nice pulley clothesline. I can just stand at the edge of deck now and hang everything up.

I've decided to use cloth diapers this time around(once Silas gets past the pooping-all-the-time stage) and so a clothesline is essential. I wished I started using cloth with the first baby but I guess now is better than never. It still is more economical than disposable in the long run and it's so much better for the environment. I did a lot of research about cloth diapers before I was convinced and then bought different styles to see which one I will like the best. I was quite surprised at how many different styles you can get and how much money you can spend on it - up to $25 for one diaper! For at home, I decided to go with the cheapest option and that is cotton prefolds - $28 for a dozen. Anyway, we'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks when I do the switchover!

Silas is doing very well. This past Friday (16th) he was up to 8lbs 15 ounces at the midwives. She was very happy with his progress but not so happy with the mild case of mastitis I contracted last week. I feel much better now but it sure is a miserable infection that just makes you feel so run down.

Silas got his first 'real' outfit from a friend of mine so we just had to try it on and get a few pictures.

Silas so far is a very content baby; he settles very well to go to sleep. The girls always cried for a long time when I put them down and I either had to wait it out or console them.

Always looking for his fingers to suck on.

Getting sick of all this picture taking.

Yesterday was baptism and we all enjoyed a very nice afternoon with family and friends. Silas was baptized by Rev. Sikkema, a retired URC minsiter. Saying "I do" to the questions posed, really drives home the responsibility we have as parents in raising this covenant child. We pray that we may have the strength to do this not only for Silas but the girls as well. We have had four children while attending Elora church and each one has been baptized by someone different. I think that's kind of neat. After the service we had cake and coffee and also had a light supper of buns and raisin bread. Some of the family travels from a quite a distance so it's nice for them to not have to race home for supper.

The yummy cake!

The girls were quite distraught that Silas had to wear a dress for this occasion. Colin told them it's not a dress but a gown; that seemed to appease them.

"Yawn, this is getting boring!"

A quick family photo.

We were supposed to get a picture of the two newest cousins together but with all the busyness it just didn't happen. So if you want to compare them side by side you'll just have to switch between our page and Chandra's. That's it for an update for now, hopefully it won't be as long before I have a chance to post again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

Thank you for the update with pictures. Sounds like you had a busy time. Silas looks cute and so grownup in the outfit already,

3:25 p.m.  
Blogger Chandra said...

And the cake really was yummy! :o)

3:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home