In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Romantic Dinner for ... Five!

It's amazing what a couple of candles can do to an ordinary meal. Last Friday night the girls asked if they could put candles on the table and eat by candlelight. Of course all the other lights had to be turned off so we could barely see our food but that's besides the point. Our dinner for the evening consisted of fettucine alfredo, salad, corn muffins, and chicken drumsticks. The drumsticks are a favourite with the kids as it's pretty much the only food they're allowed to eat in a barbaric manner.

Bethany sure has the hang of eating like a caveman!

Digging right in.

Speaking of food, I've had a renewed interest in cooking lately. I've noticed that after having a baby I have a greater desire to cook new and exotic things. That and nursing always makes me hungry - which doesn't help for reducing the waistline. My favourite right now is anything Asian, specifically Thai food. On Monday evening I found a great recipe for Thai pasta. It was called, "Thai it, You'll like it" and like it we did! It called for shrimp as it's main meat and I wasn't too sure what the kids would think of that as I usually add shrimp to recipes after I've dished out their portions. Naomi and Bethany loved them and asked for more, but Anna wasn't too convinced that this was real meat. I did add some pork loin roast (leftovers from another meal) to make up for any dislike of shrimp. This recipe was from a great cookbook written by the Podleski sisters called "Looneyspoons". They have a few cookbooks out on the market and they are all low-fat recipes that taste amazing. I've tried a lot of recipes in their book and haven't yet found one that I didn't like. The humour in them is an added bonus that keeps you occupied while you're stirring up your sauce or watching the potatoes boil :) All this talk about food has made me hungry again, I think I'll stick to the grapes this time!

Here's our little cutie playing under his mobile in the playpen:

He is such a good baby that I hardly dare write about it for fear of jealousy from other moms. He rarely fusses, eats on a schedule of every three hours and sleeps through the night. I put him down at around 10:30pm for the night and I have to wake him at 7 am to eat. He's really starting to smile and interact with us now; he'll bat at his mobile and coo at us to tell us his latest story. What a blessing it is to have a content baby! And just so you know I had a very rough time with Anna, our first, so I have been through sleepless nights and frustrating nursing episodes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

you seem to have some romantic girls growing up in the house in spite of eating like barbarians. What else can you do when it's dark mom ?
I don't think the romance stuff comes from Colin !!
I can see on this picture that Silas does have blue eyes and not dark like it seems on the video.

10:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the looneyspoons books!

7:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home