In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Afternoon Drive

This afternoon I had to do some errands before I picked up Anna from our friends who live in the heart of Mennonite country. I decided to take my camera with this time as it's at this time of year that the sights, sounds and smells of the countryside are so prominent. If you're a country person (like I am at heart) then the following pictures will definitely resonate with you. As I drove along listening to Loreena McKennit's "The Mask and The Mirror" everything seemed so idyllic. Their way of life seems so attractive at times; at other times all I notice is how much work they have to do for everything.

Tilling the land the old fashioned way. They sure start them early, this boy looked no older than twelve.

A beautiful, modernized Mennonite farm.

An Old Order church with its own cemetery.

The rolling hills viewed from one of the highest points in our township.

A genuine Mennonite farm - large home with doddy house (like an in-law suite but much bigger), extensive garden, well manicured lawn and green fences and roofs.

Can't do without our quilts!!

Cape dresses hanging on the line. Mondays are a wonderful day to see laundry hanging from every laundry line for miles around.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

Beautiful pics, Laura, thanks for sharing!

6:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home