In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Monday, August 11, 2008

Pinery Provincial Park

I know, I know, I need to get some blogging done again. After some gentle prodding from one of this blog's biggest fans, I got my rear in gear to write about our holidays.
This year we went south to Pinery Provincial Park near Grand Bend. It's only an hour and a half drive from our house and kept vehicle boredom very minimal; although we still heard, "Are we there yet?" We're used to driving anywhere from four to six hours to camp so it just seemed weird to arrive at our campsite by lunchtime. I must say that getting everything set up before supper was very nice, especially since we got some rain. Overall, the weather for our trip was great. We only had two mornings of rain that lasted very briefly.
We thoroughly enjoyed Pinery's beaches; I think they rank at the top of the world's list of greatest freshwater beaches. The dunes provide nice soft sand and as you go into the water you can feel the sand ripples between your toes. Our campsite was right across from a trail that led to the beach but was only accessible for campers in our loop. This made this section of the beach uncrowded and quiet, just the way we like it :) The kids had tons of fun playing in the giant waves with their inflatable toys or just body surfing. I'm so glad that Silas is not crawling yet as he was so easy to take to the beach. Every afternoon I just laid him on the blanket and the lulling of the waves put him fast to sleep.
Pinery is not a wilderness park though, and that was quite noticeable by the amount of people in the park. The sites are not as private as we're used to and people in general are not as outdoorsy. In other words, there are more teenagers and partyers who like to use this park as a weekend getaway. We knew this before we went so we didn't let stuff like this bother us but made sure we enjoyed the park in all it's forms; swimming, hiking, biking, paddle boating, and of course, relaxing.
We made it home on Saturday shortly after lunch and had lots of time to unpack and clean up. I even got all six loads of laundry done before I went to bed. This was all due to the fact that this week I've got an extra baby to watch every day. He's the same age as Silas but not a real happy little guy. This means that I don't have a lot of extra time for other things as it's like having twins. It can be quite interesting at meal times when everyone needs your help with something and I've only got two hands to do it all. I'm thankful that neither Silas or the other baby can crawl, so at least I don't need more than two legs to keep up with them :)
Slideshow in the next post but it won't shrink to size for me, enjoy anyways!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home