In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Various Events

It's been way too long again since I've done a post and the task to write one seems more labourious each day. This morning as I saw the snow falling, I could no longer put off writing an update. Besides, it's the perfect day to stay inside and relax with a cup of tea.

Things are still busy around here - that never seems to change - but it's usually a good and fun busy. The month of November started out with a fun date night for Colin and I. He had bought some Toronto Maple Leaf tickets for a fundraiser awhile back and so we headed off to Toronto for an evening. The Leafs were playing the Calgary Flames who 'smoked' them. We're both not real big Toronto fans so it didn't bother us too much and a lot of the fun is in just being at such a huge venue. I had never been to an NHL game so it was neat to experience the excitement up close (as in 14 rows from the ice).

The puck in the Leafs end zone...again!

Miikka Kiprusoff - Calgary's star goalie.

The very large, and quite fancy, Air Canada Center.

The following week the girls had wacky day at school. They had their hair put up in tons of messy pony tails, wore pajama pants, put on mismatched socks and shoes and wrapped their tummies up in bubble wrap. They were quite the sight and probably drove their teachers nuts all day by popping the bubble wrap :) Oh well, it's only for one day!

I forgot to take a picture before they got their coats on so you can't see their whole outfit.


The end of the next week, the school had an open house for both parents and grandparents. Since neither sets of grandparents could make it to this event, I made sure I could attend. It was so nice to sit beside each of the girls and help them with their school work. It's also fun to be in their classroom environment and watch how the class interacts together. Sometimes I wish I could be a fly on the wall so I could see and hear all that goes on in those classrooms.

Anna working on Language Arts.

Naomi getting ready to play a money bingo game.

That same day, a friend and I went shopping for the afternoon. Silas fell asleep in his car seat on the way home (in her van) and so we just transported him into the house all buckled up. I can't believe he stayed asleep the whole time!

As the weather gets cooler, we tend to spend more time indoors. We recently went through a puzzle phase. I started a 750 piece puzzle one night which kept me occupied for the next couple of weeks. Anna and Bethany did their own puzzles one Saturday afternoon and it was impressive how much they got done in a few hours. Puzzling is such a nice quiet activity that is educational as well.

My puzzle by Marjolein Bastin.


Anna and Bethany's Puzzle Museum.

This morning we woke up to a winter wonderland. Although it is white everywhere, the temperature is not all that cold. This means that it is wonderful packing snow and in no time at all Bethany, Silas and I had a made a snowman. Silas was quite intrigued by the snow and did what all the rest of my kids did when they saw snow - eat it!

Bethany and Silas with 'Snowball-y' as Bethany dubbed it.

All bundled up!

Our winter wonderland.

In other news, my parents are moving to our area this weekend. They will now be much closer to all their children and grandchildren. As they get older, it's good for them to be closer to family so we can be there for them in times of need. They have mixed emotions about the whole move as the last place they lived in was the longest they ever lived in one house (17 years). It also brings back lots of memories for me. That house was the house where I started dating Colin and then later married him. It seems like just 'yesterday' when I think about it now but so much has happened since then. What a blessing it is to look back and see how the LORD directs all things in our lives. May God continue to bless my parents as they adjust to their new surroundings.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time :)
Thanks for the post Laura...love the bubble wrap idea - I am going to save that one for future dress up days!
Shona

3:10 p.m.  
Blogger momofcrt said...

Fun to go to the game, I had hoped Vancouver Canucks were playing the Leafs while I was in Ontario, I'd have tried to get to the game :-)
I've been to four NHL games now since we moved up here. Rexall Place is just over an hour away, home of the Oilers. I've been to three Canucks games and one against the Sharks just last week. The atmosphere is neat hey?
Love the pictures of the children dressed up, so much fun. I love working in the classroom full time, I imagine some parents would love to be there, sometimes things are said that parents might wish were unsaid :-)
Enjoy winter!

7:14 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About that fly-on-the-wall idea, the first and second grade teacher at our school has a blog where she writes some of the silly things she hears from her young students.
Its on the school website at http://www.cornerstoneschool.us/199110812154239500/Blog/browse.asp?C=55402&A=398&DomainID=2039&Month=8&Year=2009.
Devon

9:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home