In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Spoiled!

I'm feeling really spoiled right now - my kitchen has now got some pretty fancy items in it. Today we got a new microwave and oven installed, compliments of my brother Wayne. He works for a company that services all high-end appliances in the greater Toronto area. When a customer complains that something isn't quite right with their current appliance, their service men will take it out and replace the item with a new one. Many times the old one is not noticeable damaged but when people pay 'big bucks' for these appliances, they want them to be perfect. So far we had been the recipients of a stainless steel Bosch dishwasher that had a small dent on the outside of the machine (not noticeable once installed). Recently, we were also the blessed recipients of a Wolf oven and microwave. (Wayne can only give the 'damaged' appliances to direct family.) Since our current wall oven is quite old, this was a timely acquisition. Wayne was also gracious to install it for us with his great eye for precision and exactness. We are very thankful for his help. Here are the before and after pictures:

The old microwave oven already off of it's shelf.

The new microwave oven - it's a convection microwave (whatever that means - I think I'll have to read the manual to see how to operate it :)

The old oven - it was over twenty years old but still worked decently.

The new oven with new trim around it to fit it in the old spot. Now I just have to stain it the same colour as the rest of the cabinetry.

The finished look. The microwave has no noticeable damage while the oven has a very small indent in the inside where a screw was accidentally pressed too hard.

On to other news. We had a pet funeral this week Tuesday as one of our new little kittens passed away. We believe that Bethany left the shed door open one morning and her curious little Christie decided to embark outdoors. This left her vulnerable to Lady who I think had a little too much fun with her. Bethany found her outside when we got home from our outing and came crying to me. She said, "I tried to stand her back up but she just kept falling over." The poor girl was so sad which also had me shed a few tears. I'm not much of a cat lover but I felt so bad for Bethany who was so excited about her kitty. She was so good with her and was up at the crack of dawn to feed her. So we gave Christie a proper burial and marked her resting place with a large rock and some freshly picked tulips.
All was made better, though, because on Thursday we went back to our friend's farm and picked out a new kitty. This kitty is named Tiger and is also very cute and fluffy. I don't have any pictures yet but I'll try to post some next week.

Finally, Saturday night is bath night in our house for the kids - must be clean for Sunday! This time Genevieve also got a turn.

Getting spoiled with a bubble bath in the laundry tub :)

Close your eyes, Genevieve, or you'll get soap in them!

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

Nice to have a brother able to give away damaged appliances, lucky siblings !
Glad Bethany was able to get a new kitty,love transfers quickly when it's an aniamal :-) Genevieve doesn't seem to mind the bath too much.

8:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home