In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back to Reality

So our summer holidays have ended and it's now back to reality! We had a fantastic week camping at Charleston Lake Provincial Park with my brother and his family. As is our family custom, we did lots of canoeing, hiking and biking. One day trip had all of us canoeing for an hour to the base of a trail and then hiking 4km to the highest point in the county; we were exhausted when we got back to the campsite - that's the adults not the kids! They always seem to have tons of energy. I think we are really getting the hang of this whole camping thing though as we have gone so many times now that it doesn't seem like such a big ordeal anymore. Either that or I'm getting more relaxed about it. I was quite depressed coming home knowing that our holidays are now over and that there won't be anymore sitting around the campfire and chatting till all hours. There's always next year (which we have to plan in March already just to get a campsite)! Pictures to follow.
I guess the other reason I didn't want the holidays to end is that Anna is getting ready to go to kindergarten. She is very excited, not nervous at all and is quite an outgoing girl. It's her mother on the other hand who is feeling sad and nervous. At first I was all gung-ho for this school idea but now I'm feeling like I'm losing a very special part of my life. I know I have to let go but it makes me uncomfortable. Tonight we went to an open house at the school and it was very nice to meet her teacher and see her classroom. We also went over the school handbook and their policies, something that's very important too. We both want to be involved so we can keep the lines of communication open. I'm sure everything will be fine but I just hope she gets on the right bus to get home next Thursday:)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura! Sounds like you have had a very busy summer! But lots of fun,too.
I share in your nervousness and sadness- Robyn is starting kindergarten too! Our babies are all growed up ):
The bus idea scares me as well...how can you so carefully watch over someone for so many years and then suddenly put them out in the big, big world all alone?!
Let us know how it goes for Anna (and you!) on that first day!

7:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home