In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Thursday, September 07, 2006

First Day of School


So, the first day of school has passed and the tears have dried. Anna was quite excited all morning but became quite quiet as the time approached for her to go on the bus. She did fine all day, as I would have imagined, and had lots to talk about when she got home. I stayed composed the whole morning but when I spoke about it with my Mom on the phone later on, I burst into tears. I managed to keep busy all day to keep my mind off of Anna and spent some quality time with Naomi. It's amazing what you can do when you've got one less kid! Naomi, Bethany and I walked into town in the morning and had a treat at Elmira Donuts & Deli (the local coffee shop) and then had an afternoon of fun playing games and baking together. Now that the first day has passed, school will become routine and I hope, an enjoyable part of the next phase of our family's life.
Now that Labour Day has passed, I start to get busy with filling the freezer with vegetables and pies and the pantry shelves with canning. It feels so good to prepare for the winter and have everything well stocked with healthy, homemade food. I sometimes wish we had a bigger freezer as we wanted to purchase a quarter of a cow but have no room to put it. I think it's the cool air and shorter nights of the lovely season of Autumn that makes me feel like being a homebody. Well, I'd better get to bed as tomorrow I hope to cut up vegetables for my soup packages.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

I always found that having the older one(s) away at school would totally change the dynamics of the other one(s) left at home. Justin behaved totally differently when he was the oldest at home, and the same for Melanie when it was Justin's turn to go to school.

11:45 a.m.  
Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

Hey Anna, looking good all ready for your first day at school. Mom will get used to it !
Are you still enjoying it now that you've gone for a while already?
Won't it be fun to learn how to read so that you can read stories to Naomi and Bethany ? YES !!!!

3:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home