Grandparent's Day
Today was grandparent's day at Anna's school. She was very excited to have her Grandpa and Grandma from London come to visit her in kindergarten. My parents also have four other grandchildren that attend this school so they were kept busy the whole morning. They then came over to our house for the rest of the day and stayed for supper. When Anna was told on Tuesday that Thursday was grandparent's day at school she immediately thought about Grandpa and Grandma far away. She was quite persistent that they should come and that it wasn't a big deal for them to fly over and visit. Kids just don't understand these things! (I never even mentioned it to her that Grandpa had come for Vanessa and Justin's grandparent's day last year). Ever since Grandpa and Grandma were here not too long ago both Anna and Naomi have felt closer to them. They talk about them more frequently and I think they can now picture Grandpa and Grandma in their heads. It's kind of neat seeing that relationship develop.
Bethany is still being a little stinker. She is great when it comes to playing and sleeping but as soon as we have to feed her it becomes a nightmare. She won't eat what I put in front of her and if she does like it she wants to eat it all by herself. I'm trying to be firm and not give in to her but it's hard. She just screams all meal time and I just start forcing things into her mouth. As you can imagine, it's not a pretty sight and it makes for stressful meal times. I've tried putting her to bed with no food (multiple times) and then feeding it to her when she gets up, putting her in the hallway with no lights on till she quiets down, and distracting her with an array of toys and books. I know she won't starve if I continue to let her go hungry to learn a lesson, but I also want the best for her. Where's that healthy balance? I thought this would just be a stage but it's been going on for about six months, ever since she started on table food. I'm also a proponent for healthy eating so I can't just give her the same food every meal time. She's got to learn to eat a variety of foods; especially fruits and vegetables. Suggestions anyone?
I guess it doesn't help that Anna and Naomi eat great so I expect Bethany to be the same. I could have a lot worse problem on my hands and she's been sleeping through the night, for a solid twelve hours, since she was a couple months old. Now that's a blessing! When you've had a good night's rest you can tackle almost anything!

3 Comments:
Thanks Roze, I appreciate your advice and we do let her eat by herself sometimes. It's only when she's eating something extremely messy, like soup, that we draw the line. We'll just keep on doing what we're doing and hope she catches on someday!
Hey Laura: Be comforted that many, many parents have been where you are today, and survived it! Here's a link for you to check out:
http://www.supernanny.co.uk/Advice/-/Food-and-Nutrition/-/0-to-4-years/Coping-with-a-Fussy-Eater.aspx
While I'm not sure the advice given here is for your specific situation, I do find that Supernanny uses a lot of common sense when it come to the practical side of child-rearing.
I do think the key to the whole situation is whether or not you are relaxed when you put the baby in the highchair. If she senses that you are tense, she will respond accordingly. All the best with that!
Thea Heyink
Here's that link once again:
http://www.supernanny.co.uk/Advice/-/
Food-and-Nutrition/-/0-to-4-years/
Coping-with-a-Fussy-Eater.aspx
You will have to copy and paste it in the address bar of your browser.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home