In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Latest Project

I have been meaning for awhile to do some decorating in Bethany's room. We had it painted last year a nice grey/blue but it still looked a little drab. I had seen at Sharon's last year how she had painted blocks of colour on one wall in her rec room and I thought it looked quite sharp. These projects always look easier than they really are though. I enlisted the help of my friend Jacqueline and in one morning we had all the measuring, calculating and taping done. I sure thought I'd never have to do so much math just to paint a bunch of blocks on the wall. Of course, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and so things had to be measured dead on or everything would look a little out of kilter. The painting has to be done in stages as the blocks butt up to each other and so not all can be painted at the same time. Here is a picture of what the wall looks like so far :



I went with an earth tone colour scheme but kept some playfulness in it as it is a kids' room. The colours are : wheat yellow, coral, moss green and the original blue that was on the wall. So far it's working out really well and I'm excited now to see the finished product. More photos to follow of the end result!

Here are a couple of photos just for Sharon (re: our phone call) to see how I stenciled Anna and Naomi's room. I won't go into an explanation of the whole process only that it is quite easy but time consuming. The result is a timeless and whimsical look for a girls' room.





Here's a photo of our "triplets" on Sunday morning before church. I got quite a few comments from people at church that they looked so cute together. I figure I'll only be able to dress them the same for so long so I might as well do it now! And no, I did not make them (The Children's Place hired this project out for me). I'll take another picture of them without the sweaters on so you can see the summery look!

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy-Mom said...

Wow, lots of things this time. That bedrooms gonna look really cool when it's done. And the trim on the girls walls look really nice as well, that too looks like it would have taken a lot of measuring figuring to get it on so nicely.
Then...the triplets look sooo cute. I can imagine that they were pretty proud !

11:19 p.m.  
Blogger Chandra said...

The dresses and purses are beautiful! (and so are the little girls int hem...)

Is there a pattern of some sort in the colors of the blocks, or is it random? I'm trying to discern a pattern, but can't find it...

6:24 a.m.  
Blogger Laura and Colin said...

Hi Chandra,
There is no real noticeable pattern to the blocks. I wanted it as random as possible and it took me 10 practice sheets to figure out what would look best! Once all the blocks are painted you will be able to see the overall effect better.

12:50 p.m.  
Blogger Chandra said...

What a paradox...you had to practice ten times to make it "random"??!!!

5:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home