In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Friday, August 22, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

First off...

...we're moving and it's been a real nail biter getting it all said and done. The deal was finally signed on Wednesday evening after being told in the afternoon that it wasn't going through. It's very exciting for us as we're moving to a six acre place that is minutes from church and school. This will be a long term move as the house has plenty of room for growth and, obviously lots of room to roam. We're very thankful that God has blessed this process thus far and allowed us to go to the country sooner than we had anticipated. Once Anna and Naomi start school it will be time to pack and sort. I'm actually looking forward to moving in one way as it's a great time to purge and organize.

This past Wednesday we decided to visit the Toronto Zoo, our last summer fling before school. (Is it just me, or has this summer flown by?) The weather was beautiful, not too hot but nice and sunny. We saw a lot of the animals active as they didn't have to beat the heat in their dens and caves. We ended the day by spending some time at the Splash Zone to cool off and rest our weary legs (our legs, not the kids' :).

Bethany's favourite animal was the giraffe.

Admiring the flamingos.

Getting a ride on a Komodo dragon; the real one was inside resting :)

Who needs to go to the mountains to see mountain goats? It doesn't get more realistic than this!

Now it's time to do some work and there's plenty to be done when it comes to canning and freezing. In the beginning of the week I received a huge bag of rhubarb that got made into different kinds of delightful treats - rhubarb sauce, rhubarb crisp and chopped (to be used at a later date). Then on Thursday I picked up a bushel of peaches. The peaches are very small this year but they were in good shape. It just means it's a lot more work to peel them and it takes a lot more of them to fill the jar. I've done three batches (ten quarts) so far, with a couple more to go. I think I'll do a batch of jam too, as that will get rid of some more :) Hopefully next week I can get to the garden to pull some vegetables to make veggie packs.

So a very eventful and busy week but also a very blessed one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

Hey, how did I miss this post way back when??

The last two years I've been cheating and just canning my peaches with the peels on. Yep, I'm serious! No complaints from anyone. And the canning process actually loosens the skins, so if you really don't want to eat the skins, it's a super simple thing to just slip them off the peach with your spoon while you're eating them. Save hours of time while canning!!!

10:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home