In the Middle of Nowhere

making memories in the country

Monday, February 09, 2009

In Review

Time just keeps on ticking and the weeks keep flying by. As all moms with young children know, there is never a dull moment in a day. There is no exception to this in our household. Last week I decided to try my hand at several projects that have been on my 'to do' list for some time. My playpen has a piece of foam in it but it has never been covered properly. Silas has figured out that if he lifts up the blanket I had on it, he can get at the foam and pick pieces off. Great fun for him! I fooled him now though, and made a full cover for the foam with a zipper in the side so it can be taken off and washed.


I also made some french bread for supper one evening and was very happy with the results:

I don't have a mixer so I usually don't have too much success with making bread products, but I think I'm getting the hang of kneading by hand.

Next on my list was to make yogurt. I've tried this before with mixed results but since we eat a lot of it I thought I would try it again. It turned out quite well and since I put honey in it, it didn't taste too sour. Now I just have to make sure I keep enough on hand for our Sunday night smoothies :)


On Friday night we decided to go tobogganing, just with our family, to a local hill. The weather had become much milder so it was tolerable for Silas to stay out for a good length of time without freezing his fingers and toes. It was a beautiful evening and the kids had a blast!

Trudging back up the hill. Bethany was a real daredevil and always wanted to go down on her own - she was completely oblivious to the big jumps she always managed to veer towards.

Beautiful Ontario winter landscape.

Colin, Silas and Naomi hanging out at the top.

On Saturday we had more outdoor adventures when my brother Wayne came over, with his children, to fix his snowmobile. He has it stored in our shop but it needed some TLC before we could take it out for a ride. It didn't take long at all before I heard it 'buzzing' around our yard followed by lots of giggling from the sled he was pulling behind it.

Wayne telling the kids to hold on!

The girls flying by.

Bethany was too little to go on the toboggan but got a special ride from Colin up in front.

Colin and I have never really snowmobiled before but we both agreed that this is another winter activity that we would love to do more regularly. We might just be able to, as we are now privileged to use this machine as long as it is stored at our house. My brother lives in town so is not able to get any use out of it right now. We'll take good care of it and hopefully keep it running till the winter is over. That's the big downside to snowmobiles, there always seems to be something breaking down on them (unless of course you have a brand new machine). And, with Colin an expert in math and not machines, we could run into some difficulties if it decides to blow a gasket :)

Finally, here's a video of the girls and Colin coming down the driveway:

1 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

Fun! How much honey did you put in your yogurt, and at what point did you add it?

7:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home